Frequently Asked Questions         Printer friendly version  

What is my lifetime registration number?
You can find your lifetime registration number on any certificate that you have been awarded. If you do not know your number then contact customer support who will be happy to supply you with it. The number is useful for requesting a replacement or e-certificate, or to ensure accurate registration should you change centres.

What is my Unique Learner Number (ULN)?
You should also have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) if you are studying in England, Wales or Northern Ireland or a Scottish Candidate Number (SCN) in Scotland. Where ULN/SCN numbers are supplied at registration point by centres, VTCT will print them on your certificate. 

What is a Personal Learning Record (PLR)?
The Personal Learning Record (PLR) allows individual learners access to their past and current achievement records. Individuals can share records with a school, college, further education training provider, university or employer. This is specifically useful when you are making an application to further education, training or employment. Organisations can use the PLR to verify your qualifications more quickly and easily than by reviewing and checking certificates.
Not all older achievements are included and if you are concerned about any missing achievement, first contact the centre where you studied.
Further information on the PLR can be obtained by clicking here

What is a portfolio?
A portfolio is a record of supporting information to confirm that you have the skills necessary to complete your qualification. Not all VTCT qualifications require you to build a portfolio and your centre will advise you. It can either be built in the form of hardcopy evidence or as an e-portfolio. VTCT has a bespoke e-portfolio (Linx2Record) to support our qualifications. Further details can be found by clicking here.
At the end of your course, your portfolio will become your property to show to potential employers.

How do I go about getting a replacement certificate?
There are two ways to apply for a replacement certificate. For recent certificates (since2009) you can create a free account  at Linx2Validate, or for older certificates, use a VT16 Replacement certificate request form available from the Learners' section of this site and make the payment by cheque or postal order. Alternatively you can call Customer Support on +44 (0) 2380 684500 and pay over the phone using a credit or debit card. All replacement certificates will be marked as 'Duplicate'.

I have changed my name, can I have a replacement certificate in my new name?
The regulatory authorities do not allow replacement certificates to be issued in new names even when due to marriage or divorce. If your name changes while you are undertaking a VTCT qualification, you must write to us stating your registration number, new name and request for the database to be amended. You must also include a copy of the appropriate legal documentation to support your request (e.g. marriage certificate, deed poll). All certificates previously awarded will stay in your old name; any awarded in the future will display your new name.

Where can I study a particular course?
VTCT accredits centres to offer our qualifications, but cannot advise which centres are running particular courses at any time. To find out which centres are approved to offer a particular qualification, information click on the Qualifications tile from the learner page and enter the details of the qualification you wish to study in the qualification finder, then click search. Next click on the title of the relevant qualification, you will then need to scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find a list of centres accredited by VTCT to offer your chosen course (If necessary this can be narrowed down by selecting a specific county at the top right of the list). You can click on the centre name for contact information and contact them directly to find out which courses they are currently running and to obtain further details such as cost and duration.

How much will it cost to do a particular course?
VTCT accredits centres to offer our qualifications. To find information on course costs you would need to contact an accredited centre directly.

What if I have a specific need that may affect my ability to successfully complete my course?
If you have a learning difficulty, physical disability, health or other support need that may affect your learning, assessments or tests, your centre can make arrangements to support you and inform VTCT as necessary. It is important that you discuss any requirements you wish to declare with your centre on induction or at the start of your learning experience.

I have been told I may have to practise on real clients - is it safe for me to do so?
If you are practising on real clients in the workplace then adequate treatment liability insurance is essential. It is vital as a learner and also when you go on to practise that you have appropriate treatment liability insurance to cover you if you are working on clients. Your centre will usually have insurance to cover you in the workplace whilst you are training.

I have been told I may have to attend my centre on a day I don't usually need to, because of an EQA visit - do I have to attend?
Learners are required to attend on specific occasions when required by VTCT External Quality Assurer (EQA). Learners are randomly selected for sampling by the EQA and these learners must attend the visit. Failure to attend the visit may result in certification being delayed and you may be required to attend the next EQA visit.

I have moved, can I give you my new address?
VTCT only retains learner postcodes when centres add them to registration files. The recording of postcodes at the time of registration helps us to check Unique Learner Numbers (ULNs) and names. It also helps us to be able to load your results to your national Personal Learning Record (PLR).You will only need to notify your current college or training centre if you change your address during your period of study to ensure your certificates are posted out correctly.

I have moved, can I attend a different centre to complete my course? 
Yes you can, as long as you move to another VTCT approved centre that offers the course you are doing. You may need to negotiate any training fees and re-register with your new centre.

How long is the course that I want to study?
VTCT accredits centres to offer our qualifications. To find information on duration of courses you would need to contact an accredited centre directly.

I already have some qualifications or learning that duplicates what is in my new qualification. Can I get any recognition for what I have already done?
Recognition of Prior Leaning (RPL) is a method of assessment that considers whether you can demonstrate that you can meet the assessment requirements for a unit in a qualification through knowledge, understanding or skills that you already possess and do not need to develop through a course of learning.

You may possess skills and knowledge that have not been acquired through formal learning, (e.g., through work experience and/or other related learning that has not been formally certificated). This means that you may be able to proceed directly to assessment without further study, using evidence from un-certificated learning. Your centre will advise you if you think this may apply to you.  

Is my qualification recognised outside of the UK?
VTCT offers a comprehensive suite of qualifications on the English Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF). They are recognised internationally through the Lisbon Treaty and are aligned to the EQF. The table below summarises the equivalencies between the various UK qualification levels and the EQF.

VTCT strongly recommends that you contact the Embassy or High Commission of your intended destination country, as they will be able to advise you about the transferability of qualifications and any other evidence which may be needed to work and to gain insurance.

VTCT supports the Europass service. This is a service shared across Europe and is made up of five documents designed to help learners highlight their qualifications in an effective way to prospective employers and higher/further education providers across Europe.

It is free and enables people to present their competences, skills and abilities in a clear, understandable way, removing the barriers sometimes faced when applying for jobs or continuing education abroad. VTCT is among the first UK awarding organisations to launch the Europass Certificate Supplement. 

Other useful resources include the UK National Reference Point for Vocational Qualifications.and Qualifications can cross boundaries 

What letters can I put after my name?
Please note:- Due to the size in terms of credits of VTCT Awards, there are currently no post-nominals available. 

Once you have received your certificate, if you hold a VTCT Diploma (37 credits or above) or Certificate (13 to 36 credits) at Level 4 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland), Level 7 (Scotland), or Level 6 (Ireland) and the certificate was dated after 1st January 2012, you may put the appropriate format below after your name:

 VTCT Sector Diploma Certificate

 Beauty Therapy






 Nail Treatments



 Spa Therapy



 Hairdressing and Barbering



 Complementary Therapy



 Sports and Active Leisure



 Hospitality and Catering



 Business and Retail



 Customer Service



If you hold a Diploma (37 credits or above) or Certificate (13 to 36 credits) at Level 3 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland), Level 6 (Scotland), or Level 5 (Ireland), and received your certificate after 1st January 2012, you may put the appropriate format below after your name:

 VTCT Sector Diploma Certificate

 Beauty Therapy






 Nail Treatments



 Spa Therapy



 Hairdressing and Barbering



 Complementary Therapy



 Sports and Active Leisure



 Hospitality and Catering



 Business and Retail



 Customer Service



If you hold a Diploma (37 credits or above) or Certificate (13 to 36 credits) at Level 2 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland), Level 5 (Scotland), or Level 4 (Ireland) you may put the appropriate format below after your name:

 VTCT Sector Diploma Certificate

 Beauty Therapy


 CertBT (VTCT)



 CertMU (VTCT)

 Nail Treatments


 CertNT (VTCT)

 Spa Therapy


 CertST (VTCT)

 Hairdressing and Barbering


 CertHB (VTCT)

 Complementary Therapy


 CertCT (VTCT)

 Sports and Active Leisure



 Hospitality and Catering


 CertHC (VTCT)

 Business and Retail


 CertBR (VTCT)

 Customer Service


 CertCS (VTCT)

Can I buy a badge to show that I am qualified with VTCT?
This depends on the qualification you have gained. We have launched a new range of sector and level badges that you can order once you have been certificated for your qualification. Details can be found on the Qualification Badges page of this website, including a checker to show what you are entitled to order. You can also telephone VTCT Customer Support on +44 (0) 2380 684500 and order over the phone.

My name is incorrect on my certificate, or showing incorrectly in my e-test or other list. What can I do?
You can either let your college/centre know so that they can inform VTCT or alternatively contact us with a covering letter stating what it should read and include evidence of the name change - it should correspond exactly with the name on official documents and will be the name on the certificates thereafter

How quickly after I finish my course will you send me my certificate?
Once a certificate is produced it will be sent to the college or private centre you trained at who will arrange for it to get to you.

I don't want to finish my course; can I still have a certificate?
If you have completed any units within your qualification, your centre can apply for certificates of unit credit to recognise your competence. You may incur additional costs for this service.

If I come across anything that may contribute to the award of fraudulent certificates, what can I do?
You can write, marking the envelope 'Confidential', direct to the VTCT Chief Executive. We guarantee that we will not disclose to your centre the source of your communication.

If I have a complaint against my training centre, what can I do?
Your training centre is the organisation that is responsible for delivering your course and who you have signed up to and paid money to. If you have a complaint against your centre you must take this up with centre through their complaints process. In some cases, once you have exhausted your centre's complaints procedure you may be able to escalate your complaint to VTCT, the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman (SPSO) and/or the Regulators, further information on when you can escalate your complaint can be found in VTCT's Complaints Policy.

If you are having trouble obtaining a complaint's policy from your centre, or if your centre has not responded within their stated timeframes, you can contact VTCT who will contact the centre to request a response.